Severe Weather Dismissal Plan at Teravista
FIRST, NO CHANGES AT THE LAST MINUTE TO NORMAL PICK-UP PLANS. CHANGES WILL ADD TO CHAOS AND SLOW DOWN THE DISMISSAL PROCEDURE.
PATIENCE will be key! The process WILL be much slower than usual. The safety of all is of most importance, however.
- Bus Riders and Day Care Van Riders- These students will be taken to the front foyer of the building. As it is deemed safe, each bus and van will be boarded with students. Students still waiting for a daycare van will be lined up by and sat against the front foyer walls.
- Parent Walk-Ups- For parents that normally wait out front and walk up to meet their children, you will find your child inside on this kind of dismissal. These students will be taken to the 1st/2nd grade hall (downstairs and to the left) and will be monitored by staff. Parents can enter AFTER the 2:45 bell rings and go to this hall to retrieve their child. Once the bus & day care van riders have cleared the front foyer area, we will move these students closer by bringing them to the front foyer.
- Walkers and Bike Riders- These students will be taken to the library and held until the weather eases up or a parent comes to the library to pick up their child. If you have a child that walks or rides home, don’t panic if they don’t show up at home at their normal time. It is not uncommon when this happens to hold these students for 30 minutes or so until lightening is out of the area.
- YMCA- These students will be taken to the cafeteria as usual.
- Car Pick Up Line- These students will be taken to the Kindergarten hall (downstairs and to the right)which is very near the car-rider line area. Students will remain inside with staff. Administrators and volunteer staff will brave the elements and find out which children are being picked up as cars approach and will call into the building. Children will be safely escorted out under the cover to their car. It will be HUGELY helpful to have the name and grade level of children you are picking up in the window of the car facing the covered walkway for staff that are out in the elements.
SAFETY PATROL STUDENTS WILL NOT GO OUT ON DUTY IF THERE IS LIGHTNING.
We can cross our fingers that the timing of severe weather never hits at dismissal, but if what I have experienced in the past rings true, dismissal time is like a magnet for a storm.